Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Title: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Author: J. K. Rowling; this is the first book out of seven in the Harry Potter series.

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

Review: Harry Potter is one of those series that I've always wanted to read, but have never quite got around to. I knew everyone loved the books, but I was always in the middle of something else. However, I finally decided to just bite the bullet and read the first one. I'm definitely glad I did. It was well worth it.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone follows a young boy by the name (obviously) of Harry Potter through his adventures at his first year at the wizard school Hogwarts. He runs into various dilemmas throughout his first year, and you constantly find yourself feeling for him; about the second chapter is when you really start to feel bad for him. Throughout the book, you're thinking one thing, and, at the very end, Rowling twists it. And it makes sense. The ending is amazing. Lots of loose ends are tied up, and it's a very satisfying conclusion, even though there are major storylines that are clearly left open for what I know to be multiple sequels.

The book is written from a third person omniscient point of view, so you know how everyone is feeling at any particular moment; sometimes you even get the viewpoints of animals or some mystical creature. It's interestingly done, and doesn't get old very quickly. The book is very quirky and fun, and, for the moment, light-hearted. However, it did seem to have dark undertones at parts that promised something a bit more dangerous in the future. I also loved the sense of humor that Rowling used; I laughed out loud several times.

At any rate, I think that this book is more than worth reading, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of fantasy, or books with a quirky style.

No comments:

Post a Comment