Friday, September 27, 2013

The Hound of the Baskervilles


Title: The Hound of the Baskervilles

Author: Arthur Conan Doyle - The third of four Sherlock Holmes novels

Genre: Classic, Mystery

Review: I have always been a big fan of Sherlock Holmes. The way he is portrayed throughout his countless movies and television shows has always left me breathless and begging for more. The way he could solve a case using seemingly pointless facts was amazing to me. I always wanted to be just like him. However, I have just gotten around to actually reading one of the original books, and I'm certainly glad that I did. The book was interesting and intriguing, and I especially liked the point of view it was written in; first person, but from Watson's perspective. It give it more depth, and clearly shows Watson's admiration for his friend.

The Hound of the Baskervilles, though it was the third Sherlock Holmes book written, is perfectly able to be read on it's own; characters are introduced as if you had never heard of them before. This case concerns the Baskerville family, and the legend surrounding them. It is rumored that a giant hellhound has cursed the family, and will be the cause of their deaths. It was all a myth, until Sir Charles dies suddenly, seemingly from shock, with the footprints of a large hound mere feet away from the body. 

The book is well written and paced, and never once did I think that it was becoming boring. One of the most amazing things about how this book was written was the way that Doyle was able to surprise you, through the character of Holmes. He reveals a major twist, as if it is nothing at all; like we all should have known it to begin with. And, in retrospect, it makes sense. I really enjoyed reading this book, and, beyond a shadow of a doubt, would recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting classic to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment