Friday, October 4, 2013

Mere Christianity



Title: Mere Christianity

Author: C. S. Lewis

Genre: Non - Fiction

Review: I personally found this book amazing. I have been thinking about reading some of C. S. Lewis' non fiction for a while now, and I am beyond ecstatic now that I finally got around to it. When I first started reading, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'm so used to his fantasy books, that I didn't have a good perspective of what his non fiction would be like.

Mere Christianity is split into four separate sub-books. I love the way Lewis approached the tender subject of christianity, as it is often difficult to do right, without offending people. I have often found myself reading christian fiction books, and it still feels like I'm having religion shoved into my face. Even though I personally believe in the things they're saying, I don't believe in the way it is being portrayed. Lewis, on the other hand, does this excellently. In the entire first part of the book, he barely mentions God or religion at all. He only talks about moral laws and tendencies of human behavior. From that point on, it gets gradually more in depth, until we get to the last book, which focuses mostly on Theology.

I had a great time reading this book. I'm just sorry that I didn't start it sooner. It was well worth the time I put into it. It's not a particularly lengthy book, but some of the concepts that Lewis gives were so intriguing I found myself going back to them, rereading his examples again and again. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for an interesting book that gives you plenty to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment